A date has been set for the fifth annual Chap Olympiad: Saturday 12th July. This year's Olympiad will feature a few changes to previous Olympiads. First of all, no tickets will be required and entry will be gratis.
The 2008 Olympiad will be held at a secret location, which guests will be able to deduce only by collecting seven tokens from named Chappish retail outlets in the London area. The clues revealed in each token will add up to a precise description of the co-ordinates of our Field of Champions for this year. Cracking the co-ordinates will put Chaps' and Chapettes' orientation skills to the test, and will effectively constitute the first Olympic event of the tournament.
Non-London residents may acquire the seven tokens by sending an S.A.E. to:
The Chap Olympiad, PO Box 39216, London SE3 0XS. Tokens will not be sent before 1st July.
These are the emporia to visit, plus the utterances that will secure you a token:
- JJ FOX & ROBERT LEWIS 19 St James's Street, London, SW1A 1ES Tel 020 7930 3787
I need a pipe tobacco that will last a hundred yard sprint.
- LOCK & CO. 6 St. James's Street, London, SW1A 1EF Tel 020 7930 8874
I'm looking for a bowler hat that will offer protection from flying saucers.
- R.E. TRICKER 67 Jermyn Street, London SW1Y 6NY Tel 020 7930 6395
Which of your brogues would allow for the swiftest getaway from a furious lady?
- GEO F. TRUMPER 20 Jermyn Street London SW1Y 6HP Tel 020 7734 1370
Could I have my moustache trimmed in the Leslie Phillips style, please?
- MACKINTOSH 54-55 Burlington Arcade, London, WIJ 0LB Tel 020 7529 5950
I'm looking for a raincoat that will withstand several hundred spilt martinis.
- THE CRITERION THEATRE Piccadilly Circus, London W1
Is the memory man available? I've forgotten where I left my umbrella.
- OLD HAT 66 Fulham High Street, London SW6 3LQ Tel 0207 610 6558
My aunt has suggested I invest in a pair of velvet jodhpurs. Can you help her?
The Chap Olympiad 2008. 1-6pm, Saturday 12th July. Tokens will be available until the day of the Olympiad.
It looks like I am going to miss it this year also but I hope to hear stories from the people who will go there. There is always next year!